Here at Gynecology Associates of Gwinnett, we consider patient education one of the most valuable and essential parts of our work. And in the case of sexually transmitted infections (STIs), education is an incredibly powerful tool in preventing and helping our patients promote good reproductive health and wellness. So in honor of STI Awareness Month this April, our reproductive healthcare providers wanted to present some helpful statistics about STIs for adults in America. All statistics were collected by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
- 1 in 5 Americans is living with an STI.
- Over 26,000 new STIs are diagnosed annually in the US.
- Nearly 50% of these new infections occur in people between the ages of 15-24.
- STIs result in over $16 billion in direct medical costs for Americans each year.
- However, women are only responsible for roughly 25% of these direct medical costs.
- Human papillomavirus (HPV) is by far the most common STI, resulting in over 42 million currently diagnosed cases.
- And since HPV is highly contagious and may not come with any noticeable symptoms, experts believe the incidence rate, or the number of undiagnosed cases, is also very high.
- There are currently more diagnosed cases of HPV among Americans than herpes, trichomoniasis, chlamydia, HIV, gonorrhea, and syphilis combined.
The best way to treat a potential STI is to prevent it before it occurs. For sexually active adults, we strongly recommend making sure to use a latex condom during sex and making sure that it is being used properly. Unprotected sexual contact with an infected person presents a very high risk of contracting an STI. Receiving an HPV vaccine is highly recommended. We also strongly suggest avoiding sharing towels or underclothing with other people and making sure to wash properly before and after having sexual intercourse.
Here at Gynecology Associates of Gwinnett, we offer a wide variety of treatment options for the most common STIs. Treatment plans are custom-tailored to best align with each woman’s preferences and what is best for her overall health and wellness. For more information or to request an appointment, please don’t hesitate to contact Gynecology Associates of Gwinnett today. And follow along with us on Facebook and our medical spa, MadEmEl Medical Aesthetics, on Instagram.