Preparation is crucial before any visit to your gynecologist for a well woman exam. Well woman exams only come once a year, so it’s important that you ask any questions and address any concerns that you may have about your reproductive health. In order to get the most out of your annual visit, it’s important to make sure that you come prepared. Although a well woman exam is often pretty straightforward, our board-certified gynecologists wanted to make a few suggestions for how women can prepare for their appointments.
- Don’t forget to bring your insurance card and let your gynecologist know if you have had any change in insurance coverage since your last visit. Checking in is always quicker and easier when you have your card with you. If you do not have insurance coverage or if your insurance provider is no longer accepted, please know that we offer self-pay and financing options.
- Take time to research your family’s medical history before your visit. Check with close relatives to find out if any serious illnesses like heart disease, strokes, diabetes, or gynecological conditions run in the family. Narrowing your search down to the past three generations should suffice.
- Plan your appointment for a day when you don’t have your period as this can interfere with certain tests during your well woman exam. Some exceptions may apply if you you are experiencing irregular bleeding that you want to show your gynecologist.
- Come to your appointment with a prepared list of questions that you want to ask your gynecologist. This is a great way to make sure that you don’t forget to bring up anything important during your visit. Keeping a running journal between your annual appointments can help you keep track of any changes to your body or reproductive health that you may have experienced since your last annual exam.
- Reward yourself after your appointment is over. Although we do everything possible to make visits to our office as comforting as possible, we know visits to the gynecologist can be uncomfortable and stressful. Enjoying something that makes you happy afterwards like a healthy smoothie, having your nails done, or going to a movie, can be a simple way to unwind after you well woman exam.
While it may not be something that you’re looking forward to, undergoing your annual well woman exam is an important part of maintaining the best-possible reproductive health and wellness. A well woman exam can also provide a great opportunity to form a more personal bond with your gynecologist. To request your well woman exam with board-certified gynecologist Dr. Kristine Gould or one of our other experienced providers, contact Gynecology Associates of Gwinnett today. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for additional tips, news, and details on our upcoming health and wellness events.