One of the best and most critical things that women can do to maintain their reproductive health and wellness is to undergo an annual well woman exam. During well woman exams performed in our office, our reproductive health care providers will perform a series of tests designed to gauge the state of a woman’s reproductive health and detect any potential irregularities that may have arisen since her last visit. This includes a pelvic exam, pap testing, a clinical breast exam, and more.
However, one of the most critical aspects of a well woman exam is the opportunity for direct communication between a woman and her board-certified gynecologist. We understand that some matters pertaining to reproductive health can be embarrassing or difficult to talk about, but a well woman exam is a comforting, judgment free environment where women should feel comfortable to speak about these subjects in the spirit of health and wellness.
With this in mind, we wanted to provide some essential topics for women to ask about during their well woman exams. Although we understand that every woman is different and will have her own unique needs and concerns, these more general topics can serve as a starting point to help women prepare for their next well woman exam:
- Any noticeable changes since the last well woman exam pertaining to reproductive health including any new pain or discomfort.
- Issues related to menstruation including especially heavy or light periods.
- Questions about birth control including interest in starting with a new birth control method.
- Suggestions for what can be done between visits to promote positive reproductive health.
- Information on potential vaccinations including the HPV vaccine.
We understand that a gynecological exam can be intimidating for some women. This is why we go out of our way to make sure every woman we treat has the most comfortable and easy appointment possible. For more information or to request an annual well woman exam today, please contact Gynecology Associates of Gwinnett. And follow us on Facebook for additional health tips, news, and more. You can also follow us on Facebook for additional health tips, news, and much more.